- Do not use over-processed tomatoes for tomato sauce.
- Use whole tomatoes or diced tomatoes in sauce, but never stewed or crushed. Texture is nice.
- Remove seeds to reduce bitter taste
- Use canned tomatoes out of season, and fresh within season
Tomatoes are in season during the summer: April through August
September until March use canned. San Marzano is a good choice.
- To peel a tomato, cut the top and bottom, then quarter. Cut out seeds. Slide your knife right along the skin of each quarter.
- Tomatoes with cracks in them have had uneven watering. Flavor could be compromised.
- Tomatoes with a green shoulder got burnt by the sun. Just cut it off, and it will taste fine.
- A wrinkly tomato has been in the fridge too long.
- Oh… and don’t refrigerate your tomatoes. Use them though before they go bad.
Find more like this: 222 Tips, Tricks and Tools