- Fresh asparagus
- 1 egg for each 6 pieces of asparagus
- 1 tsp lemon juice per egg
- dash of cayenne powder per egg
STEP BY STEP
- Steam asparagus until finished OR
– Put on baking sheet, drizzle with oil, and bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees
- While asparagus cooks, separate egg yolks
- Bring water up to boiling then turn down heat to low
- Place large metal bowl over water on pot creating a double boiler
- Put lemon juice and cayenne into double boiler
- Add yolk to double boiler and whisk until it starts to thicken
- Plate asparagus
Drizzle yolk mixture across asparagus
- When buying asparagus choose bunches of uniform sized spears.
- I prefer pencil-slim ones because they don’t need peeling, and cook faster and more evenly than thick stalks.
- Tips should be tightly closed and the entire stalk should look plump and fresh.
- Trim away tough ends by bending one stalk to find the natural break point. Then line it up with the rest and cut.
- One last tip: for the best appearance, don’t put the yolk sauce over top until just before serving.
Find more like this: Appetizers and Sides