This base recipe can be used alone, or for Bread Pudding, Pumpkin Custard, Personal Custards, and much more. It is a recipe that you MUST know, because you will use it throughout your life so often. The photo is of this Basic Custard recipe, baked at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- 4 Eggs and 4 TBL Sugar creamed together
- Dash Vanilla
- Grated nutmeg
- Merest dash of salt
- Zest and juice from one orange
- 1/2 C whole or lowfat milk – NOT skim, because you need the fats to gel properly
- 1/2 C Cream (Traditionally you should use just cream * I substitute 2/3 milk instead of cream to keep it healthier)
STEP BY STEP
- Cream together eggs and sugar
- Mix in vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and orange
- Mix with milk and cream
- If you are using this as part of another recipe that uses custard, you will probably add whatever those ingredients are right about here.
- Pour into greased ramekins
- Bake at 350º for 35-45 minutes
Optional Topping . Crème Anglaise