Based on a recipe from America’s Test Kitchen
- 1 package Hawaiian Sweet Bread or Lady Fingers
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/2 C apricot preserves or orange marmalade
- Amounts listed ± of any four desired fruits to total 30-35 ounces
- 10 oz Strawberries
- 8 oz Blueberries
- 4 oz Blackberries
- 4 oz Lingonberries
- 4 oz Raspberries
STEP BY STEP
- Cut tops and bottoms off Sweet Bread – Resulting bread slices should be about 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Toast sweet bread in convection oven at 350º for 5-10 minutes
- Toss together all fruit with sugar
- Heat half of fruit mixture on medium high heat for about 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and mix in remaining fruit
- Let rest 5 minutes
- Strain fruit, retaining liquid – Let rest in strainer 10 minutes
- Line bread pan with plastic wrap leaving quite a bit of overlap (will be wrapped later)
You can use any type of container really. A jello mold looks pretty good too.
You can use a ring mold, a mixing bowl, etc. Use whatever you have.
- Cut a piece of cardboard out to fit just barely inside the walls of the bread pan.
The reason for this will become apparent later.
- Heat 2 tsp gelatin with 2 TBL water in microwave to boil
- Toss in with 1/2 C fruit preserves
- Gently fold in berries
- Soak bread in berry juice and line bottom of pan
- Dump in berry mixture
- Soak second bread layer in berry juice
- Mix any remaining juice with 1/2 C rum, amaretto or grand marnier
- Pour equally over top of second layer
- Finish wrapping bread and berries with the plastic overlapping the bread pan
- Lay one more sheet of plastic wrap flat over the top of the mixture
- Place the cardboard (Step 9) over top of the flat plastic sheet
- Weight the entire mixture down with three or four cans of soup, tuna, whatever.
- Refrigerate for 8-36 hours
- When ready to serve, remove the cans, cardboard and flat plastic wrap
- Uncover the loaf from the rest of the plastic wrap, pulling down the sides
- Invert the loaf onto a serving platter
- Remove the pan and remove the remaining plastic
- Clean up the plate and cut into nice thick slices
- Serve with whipped topping (see below)
- Beat 1 C chilled whipping cream to semi-stiff peaks
- Fold in 1 TBL confectioners sugar or 1 TBL honey
- Place a dollop of whipped cream on top of the slice
Find more like this: Desserts