The goal of a casserole is not to prepare a restaurant-quality showpiece, but is rather to feed the hungry and heartbroken.
- Allow for drainage, or you could get a soggy bottom. There are meatloaf pans that have holes in them to let the grease drop to the bottom of the pan.
- A casserole should have kind of a creamy mouth feel to it, have a crunchy top (traditionally Ritz Crackers) and you should be able to identify the individual components within the casserole.
- The advent of soup make it unnecessary to start with a bechemel sauce or veloute sauce.
- Many meatloaf recipes use stale bread crumbs. Try these options:
– Use a fresh and hearty loaf such as French bread
– Use dry oatmeal – not minute oats, but traditional rolled oats
Find more like this: Grandpa's Use Only