1/4 CU warm water (not hot 110-115°)
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 CU lukewarm milk
1 CU quick-cooking rolled oats
1+ TBL brown sugar (packed)
1+ TBL soft shortening
1 tsp salt (required)
1/2 CU raisins or cranberries
2 CU sifted all purpose flour
1 CU sifted whole wheat flour
1/2 CU sifted wheat flour AND 1/4 CU mesquite meal
More brown sugar
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water, in mixing bowl.
2. In second bowl, combine milk, rolled oats, brown sugar, shortening, salt, raisins, whole wheat flour, and whatever chaff remains from sifting process.
3. Mix with spoon until smooth.
4. Add white flour and combine quickly with spoon.
5. Prepare greased muffin pans or flour the top of a baking stone
6. Turn onto lightly floured board or counter top and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 min.
7. Roll until flat, but still fairly thick. Reflouring board or counter as needed.
8. Smear with thin layer of butter
9. Combine 3 TBL sugar and 3 TBL cinnamon in small bowl
10. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture to taste
11. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces and put into baking vessel
12. Let rise in warm place (85°) until double in bulk…1 to 2 hours.
13. Heat oven to 400° (mod. Hot).
14. For mini muffins bake 12 minutes. For standard muffin size and unwarmed baking stone bake 15 minutes
15. Brush top of hot rolls with corn syrup and sprinkle with rest of cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Find more like this: Grandpa's Use Only