- 1/2 C Dried Ancho Chili – Flexible and bendable
- To taste: Cumin, coriander, red chili, ground cayenne, salt, pepper
- 3 TBL flour
- 2 C chicken broth
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- Corn tortillas
- 8 oz Monterrey jack
- 6 oz sharp cheddar or Cotijo
STEP BY STEP
- Remove stem and seeds – tear apart chili
- Toast in dry skillet
- Add cL veg oil – bring to 350º
- Add ground spices, salt and pepper
- Add flour
- Cook until darker
- Add chicken broth
- Whisk together
- Cook until thickened
- Add white vinegar
- Transfer to measuring cup and let it rest
- Spray or brush corn tortillas with oil – Stack together – wrap in damp towel – microwave 60 seconds
- Place 1 TBL sauce in bottom of 6 inch ramekins
- Lay down tortillas
- Cover with some cheese
- Add chopped onion
- Add more sauce
- Add more cheese
- Add another tortilla, more cheese and then more sace
- Bake at 450º for 10 minutes
- Add just a bit more onion
- Cook 5 more minutes
- Cool 5 minutes, then serve
Spinach and Poblano Enchilada
SELECT YOUR FAVORITE ENCHILADA SAUCE then proceed with recipe.
- 1 CU red enchilada sauce
- 3 peeled roasted red peppers or poblanos
- 2 tomatillos
- 1/2 CU (minced) cilantro
- 1 can green enchilada sauce
- 6 tortillas (5 to 6 in. wide)
- 1 CU pressed steamed and chopped spinach
- 3 ounces cream cheese or queso blanco
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese or packed crumbled Cotijo cheese
- 6 medium-sized eggs
- 3/4 CU shredded mild cheddar cheese (6 oz.)
- 1/4 CU thinly sliced green onions, including tops
- 1/4 CU sour cream or Mexican crema
STEP BY STEP
- In a blender, whirl red enchilada sauce and roasted red peppers until smooth.
- In a bowl, mix green salsa with green enchilada sauce.
- Set three ramekins (about 2 cups each, 5 to 6 in. wide or long) on large baking sheets.
- Pour red sauce mixture equally into ramekins and tilt to coat bottoms.
- Cut tortillas into quarters.
- Arrange four pieces in each ramekin, overlapping edges to cover bottom and pressing tortillas down into sauce.
- Scatter spinach, cream cheese, and 1/4 cup Parmesan evenly over tortillas.
- Lay another four pieces of tortilla over filling in each ramekin; overlap edges to fit.
- Spoon green sauce over tortillas, coating evenly.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 375F oven until sauce is bubbling, about 25 minutes (25 to 30 if chilled).
- Remove pan from oven and immediately, with the back of a large spoon, make one or two slight depressions for eggs near center of each ramekin.
- Break one or two eggs into each ramekin; sprinkle evenly with cheddar cheese.
- Return to oven and bake 10 to 12 minutes longer for soft yolks (press yolk gently to test), 12 to 15 minutes for firm yolks.
- Top each ramekin with green onions, cilantro, a spoonful of sour cream, and a sprinkling of remaining parmesan cheese.
- Set ramekins on plates.
- Add salt to taste. Makes 6 servings.