This is adapted from a recipe from Arizona Republic published July 9, 2010. It was called Chickpea and Raisin Salad. I thought that it could be adapted to an unusual four-bean salad by substituting other beans for all those chickpeas. Here is my adaptation of their recipe, and my altered recipe which creates this Four Bean Raisin Salad side dish.
- 3 cans (15.5 oz each) chickpeas
- 1 CU raisins (golden raisins would be my choice)
- 1/2 CU Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 CU fresh cilantro (rinsed and lightly chopped)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 CU extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 CU sesame oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste (scant)
STEP BY STEP
- In a small saucepan, combine raisins, vinegar and sugar
- Bring to simmer, then remove from heat to cool
- Toss chickpeas, cilantro, scallions and raisins with EVOO, cumin , salt and pepper
- Refrigerate for about two hours before serving to allow flavors to meld
- First, I’ve already modified their recipe, but I’ll not tell you where.
- I think that a Vidalia onion, VERY thinly sliced and tossed in the red vinegar before combining would be good.
- Rather than three cans of chickpeas, use one of chickpeas, one of red beans, one of wax beans and one of green beans.
- Yes, I know that ends up being four cans, but go with it…
Find more like this: Appetizers and Sides