- 4 to 6 medium sized green tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 1/4 C buttermilk
- 1/4 C flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- bacon grease or vegetable oil
STEP BY STEP
- Mix salt, sugar and both peppers
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 – 1/2-inch slices, discarding ends.
- Sprinkle with salt mixture to taste. Press into the fruit, then set aside.
- Put flour into shallow dish
- Whisk egg and buttermilk together – put into shallow dish
- Prepare 1/2 inch hot oil in a cast iron skillet – Bring to 375º
- Dip in the flour, then egg, then the flour again
- Let rest for 20 minutes in fridge before frying
- Fry in hot grease or oil 2-3 minutes or until golden on bottom.
Do not overcrowd fry pan or they will become mushy
- Gently turn and fry the other side.
- Done when they are browned on both sides – approx 2-3 minutes per side
- Drain them on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with salt while they are still hot
- Serve as a side dish – delicious with breakfast!
Find more like this: Appetizers and Sides