- 2 teaspoons Crisco or butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 TBL softened butter
- 2 TBL vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup frozen (thawed) or canned (creamed) corn (optional)
- Put two or three pieces crisped and rendered bacon and 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Substitute in a bit of whole wheat flour, raw oatmeal or flax.
STEP BY STEP
- Grease a 9-inch square pan.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a bowl, combine flour and cornmeal.
- Stir well – gently fold in – do not overmix
- Stir in sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together milk and oil, honey and eggs.
- Gradually pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- For tender cornbread, do not overmix.
- Stir corn it into the batter and pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 20 for 25 minutes or until the cornbread is lightly golden brown.
A very cool way to cook this, is to preheat your cast iron skillet before pouring in the cornbread batter. Pour in the rendered bacon drippings, and bring it up to heat. At 400°, dump in your cornbread batter and continue with recipe. This will give it a very nice crispy crust.