- 2 eggs
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 C canola oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-1/2 C flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 c green tomatoes*
Step by Step
- *Green tomatoes: Harvest your green tomatoes, any kind will do. (cherry, large, plum, whatever.)
- Wash them, and cut off stems and bad spots.
- Run them through a food processor with the grater disk.
- Remove (or chop) any large pieces that sneak through. You could pulse them in a blender.
- Put in a strainer and drain, for at least 1/2 hour.
- You can use them right away, or freeze them in 1 cup batches, and use at another time.
- Vacuum seal them for maximum freezer life. Be sure to label your storage containers.
BAKING THE BREAD
- Start preheating 8″ cast iron skillet to 400º
- Cream together the eggs and the sugar
- Add 2 TBL cold butter to your skillet
- Add everything else except the flour
- Mix well, then add the flour – DO NOT OVERMIX or your bread will be tough
- Spread the now-melted butter across the bottom of the pan
- Put the quick-bread batter into the skillet
- Bake 50 minutes. Do the “old clean knife trick” and if it does not come out clean, bake another 10 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes before trying to remove from skillet. It should shrink and pull away from the sides for you.
Find more like this: Breads, Pasta, Potatoes, Starches