- Pillsbury Puff Pastry – thawed
- 1 TBL butter – Melted
- 6 to 8 medium green tomatoes
- 2 TBL lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Below to be added later
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TBL cornstarch
- 1 TBL flour
STEP BY STEP
- Wash the green tomatoes well; peel and slice into small chunks
- In a saucepan, combine tomatoes with butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and cinnamon.
- Cook the spiced tomato mixture over low heat, stirring frequently.
Cook for about 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, roll your puff pastry large enough to cover the bottom of your pie pan
- Dock the bottom and bake for about 5 minutes at 400º
- While it is baking, combine sugar, flour and cornstarch
- Remove pie crust, then stir sugar mixture SLOWLY into tomato mixture – just a bit at a time
- Cook mixture until it starts to gel, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and let stand until slightly cooled.
- Cut some of your puff pastry into strips ( see photo ) to be used on the top
- Pour your tomato mixture into the pie shell
- Cover with top pastry, seal edges, crimp, and cut several small slits in crust to allow steam to escape.
or create a woven top ( see photo )
- Bake at 350° for 45 – 60 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Serve warm or cooled.