Grandpa created and submitted this recipe to The International Rescue Committee for inclusion in its Gila Farm Cooperative CSA Newsletter. This is a program that we subscribed to, and prepaid for, which gives the farmers money for seeds. Throughout the coming year, we get all sorts of greens and other produce fresh from the farm.
This is also great if you are traveling and get a chance to sample the street side farmer stands or a local farmers’ market.
For details, visit The IRC CSA Site
- 2 portions Spinach
- 1 portion Kale
- 1 portion Collard Greens
- 3 Radishes
- 1/4 C Golden Raisins (Grocery)
- 1/4 C Dried Cherries (Costco)
- 1 Tomato (Grocery)
We shop at a small immigrant grocery next to Fatoush Restaurant () near 19th Avenue and Camelback. Most Eastern restaurants will have yellow raisins.
STEP BY STEP
- Wash each ingredient with full immersion, then dry the veggies and leaves, discarding the water.
- Prepare the large bowl with iced water for cooling the heated greens
- Cut the tomatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Use a crinkle cutter to cut your radishes into medallions.
- Tear stems off spinach and tear leaves into bite sized pieces.
- Cut Collard Green and Kale stems off, and discard stems
- Heat a large pan with a little water in it.
- When water begins to show “hot water bubbles” put in Kale and Collard Greens and cover for 30-60 seconds.
- Dump Greens into ice bath to stop cooking and wilting process.
- Dry or spin cooled greens, then discard water in bowl, rinse and dry to use in the next step.
- Combine all ingredients in clean bowl and toss gently.
- Toss with oil or dressing of your choosing.
Find more like this: Salads and Veggie Dishes