Recipe mostly by TipHero, with a twist or two from Grandpa.
- Six eggs – About a week old
- 1 VERY ripe avocado
- Juice and zest from one lime
- One deseeded jalapeño – minced
TipHero prefers to use a serrano pepper
- 1/2 tp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 TBL chopped Cilantro
- Dried chives ( not mixed in, rather sprinkled over top )
STEP BY STEP
- Rather than boiling your eggs to hard boil them, TipHero bakes them at 350º for 25 minutes.
It is absolutely critical to start with a preheated oven.
- In a large bowl, take 4 C ice cubes and put into 8 C water
- Take your eggs directly from the oven and put into the ice water USING A SPOON.
Touching the eggs will raise a blister.
- Let set in water until the ice melts
- Peel the eggs, using the water to wash away pieces, and lubricate the egg as you peel.
You can also peel under running water, but this wastes water.
- Cut egg in half using a piece of dental floss – yes… dental floss.
- Remove yolks and place in a mixing bowl.
Place the whites on your serving plate.
- Halve your avocado, and scoop the meat out using a spoon.
TipHero uses the entire avocado. I prefer using only half.
- Add lime, jalapeño, salt, black pepper and cilantro.
- Put into a zip lock bag, and cut the tip off a corner
- Place your avocado mixture into the bag
- Pipe ( squeeze ) the mixture into your egg white
- Sprinkle your chives over top of the eggs, letting some spill onto the serving platter.
Find more like this: Appetizers and Sides