- 4 very ripe avocados (end stem should fall off easily)
- Zest and juice from two limes
- 1/2 sweet onion – grated
- 1/2 red onion – diced
- 2 cloves garlic – grated
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 12 or more sprigs of fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tomato – deseeded and diced
- 2 jalapeños – diced – seeds removed
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
STEP BY STEP
- Grate onion and garlic
- Dice cilantro, tomato and seeded jalapeño
- Mix everything except the avocado together in a large bowl
- Dice avocado – See Tips and Tricks below
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Halve the avocado. You may have seen people hack the seed with their knife. Be very careful if you do this, because it is very easy to get your finger too.
- I prefer to slightly squeeze the avocado, and the seed will nearly pop out.
- You can score the avocado right in the skin, then just scoop it out with a spoon. Here is a video by Expert Village.
- If you are making a lot of guacamole, after you halve the avocado, press it through a bread drying rack that has metal struts going both directions creating a grid. Just press the avocado through this into a bowl.
- You can also scrape an avocado against the side of a glass. Here is a video by Crazy Russian Hacker.
- I am from Ohio. Back east avocados are called mangoes. Bell peppers are also called mangoes. Here in Arizona mangoes are called mangoes, avocados and called avocados and bell peppers are called bell peppers.
- To ripen an avocado, place it in a bag with a banana.