INGREDIENTS FOR EASY HORCHATA ( to make 4 bottles )
- 1-2 C cooked white rice
- 1 TBL ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 C hot water
- just a pinch of salt Ground cinnamon for garnish when serving.
STEP BY STEP
- Mix rice, cinnamon, sugar and 2 Cups hot water
- Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour
- Stir just to mix
- Add 2 more cups hot water and stir again just to mix
- Let sit for another two hours at room temperature
- Strain through a fine sieve into empty bottles
- Store in the fridge for up to a week
- Shake the bottle before serving
- Serve over ice and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon
INGREDIENTS FOR A MORE COMPLEX and AUTHENTIC HORCHATA
- 1 cup uncooked white long-grain rice
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon ground Mexican cinnamon
- 2/3 cup white sugar
STEP BY STEP
- Put rice into a bowl and fill with water, pour through strainer
- Repeat Step 1 until water in bowl is clear
- Add the rice to 3 Cups boiling hot water
- Let rest for about an hour
- Add 2 Cups cooler water and add to a blender
- Blend until the rice just begins to break up, no longer than 1 minute
- Let rice and water stand at room temperature for at least 3 hours
- .Strain the rice water into a pitcher using double layer of cheesecloth, or a very fine sieve.
- Discard the rice.
- Add the vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar
- Stir until blended
- Stir the milk into the rice water.
- Chill and stir before serving over ice.
- Keeps for no longer than 10 days.
OH, ONE MORE THING …
- In El Salvador, horchata is primarily made from morro seeds, not rice.
- Other flavorings that you can grind up with the rice are peanuts, almonds and cashews.
- Other common ingredients include ground cocoa, cinnamon, sesame seeds, nutmeg and vanilla.
- If you don’t have a blender, you can use rice flour instead of rice
- Use emptied water bottles for storing your finished horchata.