- 12 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 TBL extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBL tomato paste
- 1/2 LB ground hamburger and 1/2 LB ground pork
- 3 C chopped spinach
- 1/2 C shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp finely chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 C Grandpa’s Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
STEP BY STEP
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Drain and return to the pot
- Cover with cold water until ready to use.
- Brown meat in skillet and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds.
- Add tomato paste and cook 60 seconds
- Add meat and spinach and cook, stirring often, until the spinach wilts and the mixture is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl
- Stir in Parmesan, olives, cayenne pepper, salt and 2/3 cup marinara sauce.
- Spread 1 cup of the remaining marinara sauce in the bottom of the pan.
- To make lasagna rolls, place a noodle on a work surface and spread 1/4 cup of the spinach filling along it.
- Roll up and place the roll, seam-side down, in the pan.
- Repeat with the remaining noodles and filling.
The spinach rolls will be tightly packed in the pan.
- Spoon the remaining marinara sauce over the rolls.
- Place the pan over high heat, cover and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium; let simmer for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the rolls with mozzarella and cook, covered, until the cheese is melted and the rolls are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Here is a video by PDX Traveler that game me the idea for this recipe.