Here are some lessons that you can learn so that you can do basic meal preparation safely. They are all Third-Party videos from YouTube, but still… I’ve reviewed each of them, and these are basic skills that all people, young and old, should know about or how to do.
- Saute – Just a touch of EVOO or butter will improve taste, and not add too many calories.
- Roasting a Chicken – Part 1 – Part 2 – Part 3
- Scramble Eggs
- Make a Roux
- How to Mince Garlic
- Cross-Contamination – Poultry is the biggest culprit, but there are many offenders.
- Sharpening a Knife – There is a difference between sharpening and honing the blade of a knife
- Honing a Knife
- Basic Knife Skills – Keep your finger tips clear
- Keeping a clean work area – A can of Chlorox bleach wipes is a good kitchen companion
- Respecting your kitchen and kitchen tools
- Storing leftovers
- Simmer vs boil
- What does mis-en-place mean… and why? – A bit of foresight can keep you from being rushed
- Using a grater
- Steam vs hot water – Water will wash away many of the nutrients
- Handling fires – Water on a grease fire could kill you.
- Washing your Hands – Staph germs can live on your hands for hours. A bit of soap and 30 seconds could save your life.
- Expiration Date – Spoilage – Commercially canned products can be kept for up to ten years as long as the cans are not damaged or bulging.
- Mirepoix – Carrot, celery and onion
- Trinity – Carrot, celery and bell pepper – South eastern United States
Review later: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifehack/cooking-101-20-lessions-to-kick-start-your-cooking-skill.html
Cooking with Skinny and Mini – http://www.youtube.com/user/chefskinnyandmini#g/a