Thanks to Ninos Restaurant in Sun City and Macayos Restaurant in Phoenix for this recipe.
- Use a chuck roast or chuck eye roast or bottom roast
- Cut into large pieces – about 2-3 inches
- Put into a pot of water and cover with water plus two inches
- Add large pieces of celery, carrot and onion
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, cloves, and Grandpa's Thunder Powder, Arghh Powder, or other.
- Bring water to a boil and simmer for 2-1/2 – 3 hours
- Let cool so you can handle it safely – KEEP the braising liquid
Keep some for gravy, and use some to keep the meat moist in the refrigerator
- Shred while still warm – refrigerate for up to a week in the braising liquid
Discard any large pieces of fat or gristle.
- When ready to serve, heat up a pan with butter, onion and garlic
- Sear the shredded meat in the hot pan – this will create more texture in the meat
- Add 1 can drained diced tomatoes and 1 can green chilies
- Add salt, pepper and desired spices
- Rehydrate with a bit of the braising liquid
- Cook for about 20 minutes, then serve on taco shells, tostada shells or tortillas.