CRITICAL: Mis en place… PREPARE ALL INGREDIENTS PRIOR TO STARTING, AND BRING EVERYTHING UP TO ROOM TEMPERATURE.
INGREDIENTS for BASIC MAYONNAISE
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 C light olive oil
- 1/2 C unflavored oil: Safflower, Canola, Sunflower, Corn, Vegetable, Rapeseed, Avocado
STEP BY STEP
- Place the egg yolks in the bowl of a stand mixer and attach the whisk beater.
- Beat egg yolks for 1 minute until they are thick and sticky.
- Continuing to mix, add the vinegar, honey, salt and mustard.
- Keep mixer running. Drizzle oil in slowly.
- Continue beating, being sure the egg yolks are slowly absorbing the oil.
- After 1⁄3 to 1⁄2 cup of oil has been incorporated, the mayonnaise will thicken to the consistency of heavy cream and it will no longer be in danger of separating or curdling. This is also called breaking.
- Beat in the remaining oil in a thin, steady stream.
- If the mayo becomes too thick and stiff, beat in drops of vinegar or lemon juice to thin it out, then continue with the oil.
- Season to taste.
QUICK AND SIMPLE
- One egg yolk
- Juice from one half lemon
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Whisk together above, and then start drizzling in 1/2 C EVOO very slowly
- Never stop whisking until thickened
- If not using immediately, scrape it into a clean, dry container with a tight lid and refrigerate. It will keep for 5 to 7 days.
Here is Jacques Pepin making mayonnaise from scratch.
Find more like this: Condiments and Sauces