Studded with zucchini, corn, and tomatoes, this hearty soup is comforting, especially on chilly evenings. Oregano flavors both the liquid and the meatballs.
- Your choice of 12 meatballs
- 1 TBL cooking oil
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini – cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 1/4 tsp dried oregano, or 1 TBL chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 TBL lime juice
- 1 QT chicken broth or homemade stock
- 2 C water
- 1-1/2 C drained canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
STEP BY STEP
- Start oil heating in a large pot.
- Add the onion and half the jalapenos and saute about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, half of the oregano, and the cumin
- Cook about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your meatballs.
- See Grandpa’s Meatball Recipes and choose which meatball you want to create.
Our preferred meatball for this recipe is a Mexican Meatball.
- Add the broth, water, tomatoes, salt, and pepper
- Bring to a simmer, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the meatballs and corn to the soup and simmer until the meatballs are just done, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and the remaining oregano.