- 1/2 c. warm water
- 1 pkg. yeast ( or 1 TBL )
- 1 TBL sugar
- 5 TBL melted butter . Melted
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 3 TBL sugar
- 1/2 c. milk (scalded & cooled)
- 1/4 milk powder
- 4 c. flour
- 1/4 C shortening
- 2 TBL butter
- More flour if needed to make the dough not too sticky
STEP BY STEP
- Mix 1 tablespoon of the sugar in 1/2 cup warm water with the yeast.
- Let rise for about ten minutes
- In separate bowl, mix butter, egg, salt and remaining sugar.
- Add to the scalded milk.
- Next mix in the yeast mixture into the milk mixture
- Mix the milk powder and the flour
- Cut shortening and butter into the flour
- Create a bowl in the center of the flour
- Slowly pour the liquid mixture into the middle of flour, stirring well.
- Then knead on a floured surface
- Add more flour to your floured surface if necessary until the dough ball becomes not sticky
- Transfer to a greased bowl
- Let rise to twice the bulk – about 45 minutes
- Punch down, and roll a rope about 2 inches thick
- Cut off 1/2 inch segment
- Brush the top with butter, and top with another 1/2 inch segment
- Reshape the pair so they are rounded like a single hockey puck
- Place on baking sheet
- Repeat Steps 15-18 until all the dough is used up
- Brush tops again with melted butter
- Cover and let rise again for 1/2 to 1 hour in warm place.
- Bake 8-12 minutes in 400 degree oven.
. . . Another source says 350° for 30 minutes
. . . Just watch closely