Picadillo is a mixture of ground pork or beef, onions, garlic and tomatoes. It is frequently used as stuffing for a Chile Relleno
- 1/4 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup ready made sofrito – See Recipe
- 1/4 cup diced bell pepper (green and yellow or red)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (1/8 bunch)
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TBL tomato paste to thicken if necessary – Should be kind of like meat loaf
STEP BY STEP
- Brown the ground beef and pork
- Add Onions and cook until start to brown
- Add sofrito and peppers
- Add the olives, capers, salt and pepper, and tomato sauce.
- Add chopped cilantro
- Cook another 5-10 minutes IF NECESSARY to cook down any extra liquids.
- Picadillo needs to be moist but not runny, so not a lot of tomato sauce is used. But if you are serving it as a side dish use more tomato sauce. Usually a dish like this uses more sofrito, but I like to see the chopped spices so I reduce the amount of sofrito and add chopped ingredients – more like a pico de gallo.