Pico de Gallo translates as “Beak of the Rooster.” It is a sharp tangy staple and a great side to any Mexican recipe.
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 serrano or jalapeño chilies, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
STEP BY STEP
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serrano and jalapeno chilies are available in most supermarkets. Store up to a week in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.
- You may also find the dark green shiny poblano. This chili is milder, but must be roasted and peeled before using.