Start with Grandpa’s recipe for BASIC CUSTARD
- 1/4 CU each Grated Swiss & Gruyere
- 1/2 CU chopped hamburger (cooked) or ham (cooked)
- 1/4 CU frozen spinach (thawed)
- 1 tsp oregano
STEP BY STEP
You can make this with or without a crust, but if you make one with a crust, PRE-BAKE the crust at 425 for about 10 minutes.
Use commercial pie crust in place of Step 5 of the Basic Custard recipe, or MAKE YOUR OWN
- Prepare custard as shown in other recipe
- Place the above filling into a pie crust or four small well-greased ramikins without any crust. DO NOT pack the fillings down.
- Slowly drizzle custard over top of filling until it “starts to show” This will be about 1/2 inch below the top of the shell or bowl
- Top with a sprinkling of parsley.
- Bake for 60 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Allow to rest 10-15 minutes before cutting
This recipe is for 2-4 people. To increase to eight people (or two pie crusts) use 1 CU each of Swiss and Gruyere, 2 CU chopped meat, and 1 CU spinach.
OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL FILLINGS
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Cooked chicken
- Brocolli florets
- Chopped olives
- Finely shredded cabbage
- Diced onion
- Bell pepper
- Jalapeno pepper
- Minced garlic
- Grated Parmesan cheese and butter, then cook 5 minutes more.