INGREDIENTS for making Rice Pudding with Cooked Rice
- 1 cu cooked rice – preferably high starch arborial rice (al dente if possible)
- 1/4 cu cream
- 1 C whole milk (or lowfat, but not skim)
- 2 egg yolks + 1 egg
- 1/2 cu sugar
- 2 TBL butter – melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- Lemon or lime zest
- Raisins or dried cherries
Arborial rice is better because it is high starch. For other rices, mix 1/2 tsp corn starch in with the sugar.
STEP BY STEP
- Heat milk and cream in microwave for about 2 minutes
- In separate bowl, cream together yolks, egg, sugar, and corn starch if used
- Temper just a bit of the milk into the yolk mixture
- Do this a few times, then add the yolk mixture into the cream
- Mix the rice with the butter
- Add the rice and mix to incorporate
- Move to an oven-safe pan or dish and bake 350º for 30 minutes
- Add vanilla, citrus zest, 3 TBL honey, cinnamon and 1/4 C maple syrup
- Mix in raisins or cherries
- Plate and top with optional sauce (following)
- 1 PT blueberries and 1/3 C sugar
- Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes or until blueberries break down
INGREDIENTS for making Rice Pudding with RAW Rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 TBL butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks plus 1 egg, beaten
- Cinnamon or raisins (optional)
STEP BY STEP
- Toss rice in a bowl full of water. Pour out water. Repeat until water runs clear.
- Combine rice and water in medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer relatively untouched for 40 minutes
- I say relatively, cause at 10 minutes, uncover and give it a couple of stirs.
- Cover and go another 15 minutes untouched. This time I mean it.
- In separate bowl combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Add milk and sugar mixture to rice.
- Heat to near boiling; simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Slowly stir about 1/4 cup of the hot rice mixture into beaten egg yolks in a bowl.
- Stir to incorporate
- Repeat steps 11 and 12 three more times. This is called Tempering
- Pour everything back into the sauce pan
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, just until mixture starts to bubble.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve warm or chilled, plain or with cinnamon and/or raisins.