Hollandaise Sauce – COLLECTION
Some sauces deserve their own special place in the recipe kingdom. Hollandaise Sauce is such an animal. Please CLICK HERE to view about a dozen different recipes for Hollandaise.
BBQ Sauce, ketchup, etc – COLLECTION
Another sauce deserving special recognition is BBQ sauce. Spanning the range from ketchup to cayenne pepper sauce, and sweet to savory, meat toppings have regional fanatical followers. Explore them BY CLICKING HERE.
Just interested in Ketchup? CLICK HERE.
BASE: Champagne vinegar, white wine, egg yolks, butter
Mix and reduce down to 2 TBL in liquid volume
– 1/2 cup each vinegar and wine
– Add 2 tsp black cracked peppercorns
– 1/4 C shallots – finely minced
– 1/2 TBL tarragon leaves – finely chopped
Mix 3 egg yolks, 2 TBL hot water
Mix in double boiler
Start incorporating cold butter chips
. 1/2 LB (2 sticks)
Be careful NOT to cook the egg yolks . Don’t let it get too hot
When all butter is in add 1 tsp chopped chervil and 1 TBL chopped tarragon
Strain vinegar mixture into egg sauce
Serve over grilled steak, fish or vegetables
1/3 c salad dressing / mayo
1 TBL Finely chopped shallots
3 TBL Finely chopped dill pickles
2 TBL rough chopped rinsed capers
Salt, pepper, 1/2 lemon juice
Shrimp Cocktail Sauce
Simple: jar of horseradish and ketchup
Better: peel 1/2 cup fresh horseradish root
Dampen with white wine vinegar
Add to 3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 lemon, salt, 1/4 tsp sugar
Tabasco or Franks to taste
1/3 c sifted Flour, 2 tbl butter
Cook in sauce pan till barelt browned
4 c chicken stock while whisking vigerously
Season with lemon juice, pepper, salt
Spoon over chicken
Thicken Velouté with egg yolk and heavy cream
Thicken Velouté with cream and mushrooms
Consistency of gravy
Similar to Hollandaise Sauce
-Topping for baked fish or egg
- 1/4 C butter (melted)
- 1/4 C flour, all-purpose (sifted)
- 2 C milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 each egg yolks (separated)
- 1 TBL heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 C Swiss cheese (grated)
STEP BY STEP
- In microwave melt butter
- Add sifted flour slowly, stirring constantly
- Stir (don’t beat) until smooth, 1 more minute
- Gradually add milk into mixture
- Heat in microwave until VERY warm to the touch, but not hot.
- Beat egg yolks
- Add whipping cream to egg yolks and beat to combine
- TEMPER 3 TBL hot mixture into the eggs, WHISKING between each TBL.
- Slowly add egg mixture into flour mixture mixing continually
- Add cheese and stir until softened or melted
- Add back in microwave for three bursts of 10 seconds each, stirring in between each burst
- Sauce should be smooth. It is critical that you have no lumps. If you do, strain the sauce discarding the lumps.
- Also sauce should not be too thick or heavy.
- Can be used as an alternative to Hollandaise Sauce for eggs.
- Prepare with the exact same layers as Hollandaise eggs.
- Mornaise should cover the poached egg completely.
- Optionally garnish with a bit of paprika.