If you are making Chicken Empanadas, START HERE. Use the back button on the Poached Chicken page to return to this recipe.
You can also use a mixture of ground beef and ground pork.
START HERE to read about the dough you will be using. You will then have a link to return to this recipe.
Prepare ahead: Poached and shredded chicken (recipe here)
- 2 C meat
- 4 tomatillos
- 1 jalapeño (optional: Serrano or Habañero)
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 tsp Grandpa's Thunder Powder, Arghh Powder, or other.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 C broth
STEP BY STEP
- Barely cover your whole tomatillos, garlic, bay leaf, halved jalapeno and onion with broth. Add water if necessary to cover.
- Bring up to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes
- Use a spider strainer and move all boiled ingredients to a blender. KEEP LIQUID. Do not discard, you may need it.
- Add 1 bunch of cilantro and a sprinkle of salt to your blender
- Add enough of the liquid only to allow everything to be blended and chopped
- Mix blended ingredients in with your chicken or ground meat
- Lay out your dough and egg wash around the entire perimeter
- Put some of your chicken mixture in the center, but DO NOT overpack
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese
- Fold one side over, creating a pocket
- Crimp the edge with a fork – firmly but not enough to cut through the dough
- Brush top with the egg mixture for a nice glaze
- Poke top just one time so that steam can escape, otherwise they may separate
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350º
- Smoked chilies
- Green chili
- Green olives
- Black olives
- Chopped red bell peppers
- Shredded carrots
Before you make this for the first time, view this clip from America’s Test Kitchen.
This recipe from America’s Test Kitchen