Corn Bread from Scratch
1 CU flour
2 CU cornmeal
1/2 CU nonfat dry milk
1/4 CU mesquite meal or brown flour
2 TBL baking powder
2 TBL sugar
1 TBL baking soda
1 TBL salt
1/2 CU shortening
1 TBL softened butter
Whole milk (Alt 2% milk)
1 TBL butter or bacon grease
2 eggs – slightly beaten
1. Sift dry ingredients together.
2. Cut in shortening.
3. You can stop here, and store BASE in a cool place. Keeps up to 2 months. When you are ready go to step 4
4. Put 1 TBL butter or bacon grease in bottom of cold cast iron pan
5. Heat cast iron pan and oven to 350 degrees
. . . PER 1 CUP OF CORN BREAD BASE
6. Whisk, add 1/2 CU milk to 1 CU Corn Bread Mix
7. Stir to make a mush.
8. Mix 1/2 CU milk, 1 egg, and optionally, 2 TBL of corn
4. Gently mix mush and buttermilk mixture
5. Pour into hot skillet, leaving 1/2 inch from top for it to rise.
6. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until starts to blacken on top
Find more like this: Grandpa's Use Only