- 8 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Small sweet onion – diced
- 1/2 C Red wine
- 1/2 C chicken, vegetable or beef stock.
- 3 cloves of garlic – minced
- 2 TBL EVOO – whisked in to emulsify
- 1 TBL Basil
- 1 TBL Oregano
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
STEP BY STEP
- Tomatoes are in season April through August – the hot summer months
Use tomatoes during those months. During the cooler times, see make BASIC MARINARA.
- Cut an X in the top of the tomato
- Plunge into boiling water – simmer for two minutes
- Plunge into ice water – let cool for two minutes
- Skin should peel off easily
- Squeeze the tomato and squeeze out the seeds
- Discard the seeds, which can be bitter, and put the flesh into a stock pot
- Add all other ingredients to the pot
- Bring to a high simmer, then reduced to a low simmer
- Let cook on the stovetop for at least an hour, preferably two.
- Halfway through, use a potato masher to break up to tomato pieces
- Can the sauce to carry you through the winter months, or
Let cool, and store in zip lock bags. Freeze flat (on a tray) so they stack efficiently in the freezer.
- Ask at the supermarket for bruised tomatoes at a discount
- Keeps for a year or two if properly canned, or two weeks in the refrigerator
Buy in bulk when the tomatoes are on sale and CAN YOUR OWN TOMATOES.
- Use this as a base, then add your own variations: more basil or mushrooms or cheese… Whatever
- This is a great use to get rid of your tired veggies
- If you have the hard rind from Parmesan cheese, throw it in for flavor. Remove it before freezing or canning.
- This is a great place to throw whole and intact chicken or rib bones. Be VERY CAREFUL to not leave bone pieces behind.
Better yet, create SCRATCH STOCK from the bones, and then use 1/2 C of your own homemade stock
- EVOO in a hot pan, smashed garlic – skin and all
- 4 ripe Roma tomatoes – cross top – boil and remove skin
- Smash and chop the tomatoes
- Add a bit of water, black pepper, salt, parsley and basil
- Add optional chili pepper
- Spaghetti al dente in with sauce
- Add fresh basil – toss together
- Plate and top with Parmesan cheese
Find more like this: Condiments and Sauces