Sofrito is a base for anything that uses tomatoes or tomato sauce. It just adds an extra dimension to your recipe.
- 1 onion (chopped fine)
- 3-4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 TBL tomato paste
- 2 TBL crushed tomatoes
STEP BY STEP
- Saute onion in EVOO
- When it starts to brown add tomato paste, then the garlic
- Heat garlic through, then add crushed tomatoes
- Use as you would Mirpoix or Trinity as part of another recipe
- Sofrito freezes very well
- If you freeze it in an ice cube tray, you can break out the cubes and use them to flavor your spaghetti sauce bit by bit.
- Optional to add above where you add the garlic
- Red bell peppers
- Green peppers