This simple garden salad is easy enough for a beginner, but complex enough that it could be served at a high-end restaurant.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- TBL red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 sprinkle garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp teaspoon salt
- a pinch of teaspoon black pepper
- 4 roma tomatoes, chunked
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chunked
- 1-2 scallions (green onions), sliced
- several sprigs chopped fresh basil
STEP BY STEP
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper
- Whisk well
- Add remaining ingredients and gently toss until evenly coated.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Tomatoes are at their tastiest when eaten at room temperature.
- If you’re assembling this salad in advance and refrigerating, just let it sit out on the counter for 30 minutes or so before serving.
- Serve with French bread. Sop up oil from the bottom of the bowl.