Prepare this recipe as a side to chicken, pork or beef. Eggplant is a very versatile vegetable.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 large onion
- 1 large tomato
STEP BY STEP
- Cut 2 (washed) eggplants into approx 1″ cubes including the skin
- Put in large bowl and toss with 1TBL salt
- Dump into colander and let drain into sink for 15 minutes
- Repeat Steps 2 (yes, with more salt) and 3 about four times total.
- After drained, rinse the bowl and fill with tap water
- Dump eggplant into the bowl with water and then back into the colander to drain
- Repeat Steps 5 and 6 also a total of four times
- Note: Steps 2 through 7 will drain much of the moisture from the eggplant
- Let eggplant remain in the colander to finish draining
- Heat 1 TBL Olive Oil in as large a fry pan as you have
- Saute 1 sliced onion (till starts to brown) in the pan
- Add eggplant to the pan and continue to saute until eggplant starts to brown
- Add some oregano
- As eggplant is cooking, dice 1 large tomato
- Add tomato into pan near the end of the cooking process
- The salt will draw the moisture from the eggplant creating meatier eggplant
- Do not add salt to your pan. There is enough residual salt from Step 2.
- Serve as a side to chicken