This is classically served with veal. See my recipe for Braised Veal Shank at least a day before starting this recipe.
- 2 C AP flour
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- a splash of milk
STEP BY STEP
- Grate nutmeg, salt and pepper into flour
- Create well in center of flour and put in two eggs and a splash of milk
- Mix and incorporate slowly adding more milk if necessary.
Final batter should be almost like a thick pancake batter.
- Put large-holed colander over a pot of barely boiling water – slightly more than simmering though
- Pour the batter into the colander allowing batter to drop into the boiling water below.
- Push through all batter using a spatula as a pusher.
- The squiggles will cook through in 2-3 minutes. When they rise to the top they are done.
- Strain and plunge them into an ice bath to stop the cooking.
- Strain WELL and pour out on a platter.
- Here they will rest about 5 minutes or more and absorb any water on the surface of the spaetzle.
- Serve with seasonal veggies.
- Bake the harder veggies
- Blanch softer veggies
- When your meat is about done, fry your spaetzel in HOT EVOO in a stainless steel pan
- Sautee mushrooms if you have them. Better over-done than under-done.